Re: deity-digest Digest V2003 #6

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 11:02:05PM -0600, deity-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:

> deity-digest Digest				Volume 2003 : Issue 6
>
> Today's Topics:
>   Apt needs a logo                      [ Alan Cramer <alan.cramer@nextux.net ]

> From: Alan Cramer <alan.cramer@nextux.net>
> To: deity@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Apt needs a logo
>
> I am not too sure if Apt has an official logo or not, but considering a
> lot of distros these days are using Apt, that aren't based on debian, I
> have been playing around with logo ideas.  If Apt already have an
> official logo, I wouldn't mind seeing it, as then I could base a logo
> design for the synaptic project on the apt logo.
>
> I have attached a draft I have been working on.  Please give me some
> feedback.  The logo comprises of:
>
> - Debian Diamond shape above letter "i"
> - Debian Logo modified with an a to form an @
> - Colours are the same as Debian
>
> This destinctively shows that Apt's roots started off in debian.  Any
> RPM based Apt could use the logo, but still show that it started with
> debian.
> --
> Alan Cramer <alan.cramer@nextux.net>
> Nextux
Hi,

I named apt - the Advanced Package Tool / Administration/Packaging Tool -
many months ago.  My original proposal for a graphic - which should be
in the archives - somewhere - http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/1998
/debian-devel-199803/msg0031.html - suggested a big red box with yellow
ribbons or a brown paper package tied up with string.  Both of these
would probably be recognised worldwide as a package of some kind.

Perhaps a Debian swirl on the wrapping paper (though apt was originally
expressed as distribution neutral).

It has also been a fascinating trip through a fun flame war :)  I went
back via google to try and find _exactly_ when apt was adopted as the
name and refreshed my memory on a helluva fight!

Andy