Re: apt man pages

Op vrijdag 14 november 2003 06:37, schreef Jason Gunthorpe:
> I think a patch to correct the docbook SGML documents is probably a good
> idea.
>
> I don't know of any tool that will normalize the markup without mangling
> the indentation in the document. sgmlnorm (run on a system with the
> mangled DTDTYPE) will remove all tag minimization (and also expand
> entities, etc), but the resulting output is too mangled to be useful.
>
> Jason

Hello Jason and others,

unfortenately I haven't obtained a reaction on my previous email, hopefully I
get one this time.  I have finally been able to process 1 of the apt man
documents successfully.  I must admit though that I went 1 step further than
just correcting the docbook SGML documents.  I used apt-cdrom.8.sgml in my
attempt to get the docu processed.  I converted the docu from docbook3 to
docbook xml 4.  The document I have now can be check and processed easily
with respectively xmllint and xmlto.

Attached are the updated documents and the resulting man page.

I hope that you can accept the new document format and have them included in
the release.  I can't check if debian has an xmlto package or support for
docbook4 as the server are offline.
In case the "patch" will be accepted I will convert the other man documents as
well.

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless

<!ENTITY % aptent SYSTEM "apt.ent">
%aptent;

]>

<refentry>

 <refmeta>
   <refentrytitle>apt-cdrom</refentrytitle>
   <manvolnum>8</manvolnum>
 </refmeta>

 <!-- Man page title -->
 <refnamediv>
    <refname>apt-cdrom</refname>
    <refpurpose>APT CDROM management utility</refpurpose>
 </refnamediv>

 <!-- Arguments -->
 <refsynopsisdiv>
   <cmdsynopsis>
      <command>apt-cdrom</command>
      <group>
         <arg>add</arg>
         <arg>ident</arg>
      </group>
   </cmdsynopsis>
 </refsynopsisdiv>

 <refsect1><title>Description</title>
   <para>
   <command>apt-cdrom</command> is used to add a new CDROM to APTs list of available
   sources. <command>apt-cdrom</command> takes care of determining the structure of
   the disc as well as correcting for several possible mis-burns and
   verifying the index files.
   </para>

   <para>
   It is necessary to use <command>apt-cdrom</command> to add CDs to the APT system,
   it cannot be done by hand. Furthermore each disk in a multi-cd set must be
   inserted and scanned separately to account for possible mis-burns.
   </para>

   <para>
   commands below must be present.

    <variablelist>
     <varlistentry><term>add</term>
     <listitem><para>
     <literal>add</literal> is used to add a new disc to the source list. It will unmount the
     CDROM device, prompt for a disk to be inserted and then procceed to
     scan it and copy the index files. If the disc does not have a proper
     <filename>disk</filename> directory you will be prompted for a descriptive
     title.
     </para>

     <para>
     APT uses a CDROM ID to track which disc is currently in the drive and
     maintains a database of these IDs in
     <filename>&statedir;/cdroms.list</filename>
     </para>
     </listitem>
     </varlistentry>

     <varlistentry><term>ident</term>
     <listitem><para>
     A debugging tool to report the identity of the current disc as well
     as the stored file name
     </para>
     </listitem>
     </varlistentry>
    </variablelist>
   </para>
 </refsect1>

 <refsect1><title>Options</title>
   &apt-cmdblurb;

   <variablelist>
     <listitem><para>
     Mount point; specify the location to mount the cdrom. This mount
     point must be listed in <filename>/etc/fstab</filename> and properly configured.
     Configuration Item: <literal>Acquire::cdrom::mount</literal>.
     </para>
     </listitem>
     </varlistentry>

     <listitem><para>
     Rename a disc; change the label of a disk or override the disks
     given label. This option will cause <command>apt-cdrom</command> to prompt for
     a new label.
     Configuration Item: <literal>APT::CDROM::Rename</literal>.
     </para>
     </listitem>
     </varlistentry>

     <listitem><para>
     No mounting; prevent <command>apt-cdrom</command> from mounting and unmounting
     the mount point.
     Configuration Item: <literal>APT::CDROM::NoMount</literal>.
     </para>
     </listitem>
     </varlistentry>

     <listitem><para>
     Fast Copy; Assume the package files are valid and do not check
     every package. This option should be used only if
     <command>apt-cdrom</command> has been run on this disc before and did not detect
     any errors.
     Configuration Item: <literal>APT::CDROM::Fast</literal>.
     </para>
     </listitem>
     </varlistentry>

     <listitem><para>
     Thorough Package Scan; This option may be needed with some old
     Debian 1.1/1.2 discs that have Package files in strange places. It
     takes much longer to scan the CD but will pick them all up.
     </para>
     </listitem>
     </varlistentry>

     <listitem><para>
     No Changes; Do not change the &sources-list; file and do not
     write index files. Everything is still checked however.
     Configuration Item: <literal>APT::CDROM::NoAct</literal>.
     </para>
     </listitem>
     </varlistentry>

     &apt-commonoptions;

   </variablelist>
 </refsect1>

 <refsect1><title>See Also</title>
   <para>
   &apt-conf;, &apt-get;, &sources-list;
   </para>
 </refsect1>

 <refsect1><title>Diagnostics</title>
   <para>
   <command>apt-cdrom</command> returns zero on normal operation, decimal 100 on error.
   </para>
 </refsect1>

 &manbugs;
 &manauthor;