unusual request about cross-compiling and apt

Hello,

Well I'll get to the point. It is NOT about cross-compiling apt. For the
moment I am trying to use the debian package management system for embedded
software development. I already managed to solve number of problems that had
to do with fitting the source and the needed flexibility to reconfigure the
lot if needed into the debian packages. Now that I have the first package I
encountered another problem. I can install them with dpkg (not without forcing
it because a cross-compiled binary has another architecture than my host).
This is necessary to be able to build the rootfs on the host before installing
everything on the target embedded system. Now I found that there is no way to
force apt to behave like that. I'm looking for an option that would give
something like:

$apt-get install/source busybox-embed -arch m68k.

The -embed part is to make a difference with the normal debian packages for an
architecture. They install the files in a rootfs dir, and there is a way to
force the source to use an interactive setup. Binary packages have a standard
setup, to comply with the debian-policy, that is used by default. The idea is
to be able to select a binary package for the target system (if the default
settings are ok) and to install it or else get the source, just like apt-get
does for a normal system. The arch part is about being able to select the
target architecture and ignore the fact that the system on which the package
will be installed is not the same.
Is there such an undocumented feature?

If not I am willing to program it myself, but therefore I would like to know
if you could point out to me how I could best implement it. So that an
eventual patch I come up with would seamlessly integrate in your work.

Kind regards,

Philippe

Gestuurd via het webmailsysteem van het De Nayer Instituut: www.denayer.be