Re: Misunderstanding python-apt

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 08:36:42PM -0700, Don Rozenberg wrote:
> I am new to Debian, but have been around linux and UNIX for quite a
> while. I have been running Mandrake for years and decided to have a go
> at Debian which I installed via Knoppix. One of my main reasons was
> the package management.  Now I would like to add additional programs
> like wajig.
>
> My sources.list is set up to access stable and testing versions of the
> system.

That often produces unexpected results, BTW. If you're not very
comfortable with the system I'd suggest picking one and sticking with
it.

> When I try executing:
>
>       sudo apt-get install wajig
>
> I get the error message:
>
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>  wajig: Depends: python-apt but it is not going to be installed

python-apt is currently uninstallable in testing. This should be fixed
once the current version of glibc in unstable is working well enough to
migrate into testing.

> The next question is: "How do packages like wajig and python-apt get
> into the stable category if they cannot be installed?"

They don't. You're installing packages from testing here, not stable.
Normally testing would be insulated from problems like this too, but
there was a very complicated perl/python transition a while back which
eventually had to be forced, leaving a few packages uninstallable. This
should be cleaned up by release time.

Cheers,