Re: no freshness dating inside Packages.gz

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 06:09:55AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> Sure, "you don't need to know the date, as you are using sid and did
> apt-get update, you are assured it's the latest version".  Well, one
> doesn't need the maintainer field either etc.

Here is a good reason for wanting to know the date:

Caches like apt-proxy combined with out-of-date debian mirrors sometimes
work against you and give apt-get (and cache) a really old Packages.gz
file, that contains obsolete Packages.

It would be nice if there was some automatic way of determining that the
Packages.gz/Sources.gz files downloaded are in fact up-to-date, without
manually inspecting them.

(I am just worried that one day I will do a lot of packporting from
unstable to stable and suddenly realize all my backports were obsolete
before I even created them...).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>