My apt-get broke and I can't fix it.

Hi!

After making my daily dist-upgrade (which went fine), I decided to remove some old word perfect-packages (which also went fine). Then I purged one of the wpd-packages using dpkg, and now my apt-get is broken. This is what I get, when I try to install a package:

# apt-get install xaos
Reading Package Lists... Error!
E: Unable to parse package file /var/lib/dpkg/status (1)
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

... dpkg works fine!!!

First thing I did was finding out, what the heck /var/lib/dpkg/status contained... Then I tried moving it, which apparently wasn't a very good idea (although apt-get worked), so I moved it back again. I also tried using status-old, but that didn't work either.

I'm not sending you my status-file, since it's a bad policy to attach large files (~660kB) without them being requested first (please request it ;). You could also tell me how to make apt-get tell me where the problem is, so I could try to figure it out by myself...

Greetings

--
// Mark Gjøl

---------Hourly madness---------