Re: apt_preferences

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Daniel Burrows wrote:

>   Hm, ok.  I'll take a serious look at it sometime.  Clobbering the whole
> file isn't nice, but maybe I can use a "##  BEGIN APTITUDE SETTINGS" approach.
> (although that means they can't edit the whole file from aptitude)

The file was ment to be machine writable (notice the lack of comment
support, etc). You should be able to dump the entire file from the
in-memory structures. It would be best if the GUI could set a fair number
of the useful configurations automatically.

> > Show the newest release in the column I'd say.
>
>   Are releases always well-ordered?  I guess I could hack this for
> "unstable", "testing", and "stable", but what about "progeny" (they had
> their own Release file, did't they?) or "bobsrandomarchive"?

Hmm. No, the NewFileVer function does not sort the linked list in any
way, this is necessary to do the download fail over stuff. However, since
the order is in the sources.list order the result is actually rather
sensible, it tells you where it will be downloaded from. I think this is
probably acceptable because it is the same output that the user will see
when running 'apt-get install ..'