custom local repository

Has anyone explored using a custom package repository in tandem with
the official debian respository?

We've been packaging up local software and distributing them via apt,
along with official Debian packages.  We've been using a MySQL backend
to compare versions and give priority to local packages, regardless of
the official package's version - generating a single Packages.gz on the
fly.  The problem is I'm overriding official packages with our own
customised versions, for various reasons, and I need to retain this
functionality.

I'm re-writing each component from scratch to make it more flexible and
to reduce ongoing maintenance, and I'm curious if there's a better way.
One option is to prepend a known epoch onto each package's version-revision,
I'm assuming this would safely override all other packages of that name
given a large enough epoch.

Is anyone doing anything similar, or are there any plans to support
this kind of functionality in apt/deity?  FYI: this is all for use with an
FAI-like non-interactive installer - so we need to replace packages like
lilo that rely on user interaction (and potentially others as they crop up
for other reasons) until they're all using debconf and FAI is more popular.

In general, a tool to manage and control package distribution with a local
mirror would be useful for many large sites.  Moreso for accountability and
testing in commercial environments, than for any lack of trust in Debian
releases.

--
Niall Young                             niall@staff.iinet.net.au
System Administrator, iiNet Limited     Ph: 9213 1330 / 0408 192 797