Re: apt_preferences

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 06:58:27PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@debian.org> was heard to say:
> >   Hm, ok.  I'll take a serious look at it sometime.  Clobbering the whole
> > file isn't nice, but maybe I can use a "##  BEGIN APTITUDE SETTINGS" approach.
> > (although that means they can't edit the whole file from aptitude)
>
> The file was ment to be machine writable (notice the lack of comment
> support, etc). You should be able to dump the entire file from the
> in-memory structures. It would be best if the GUI could set a fair number
> of the useful configurations automatically.

  It doesn't have comment support?  I have "# ...." lines in my
preferences file and nothing has ever complained...if these aren't
supported, maybe something should look for them and complain if they
exist.

> >   Are releases always well-ordered?  I guess I could hack this for
> > "unstable", "testing", and "stable", but what about "progeny" (they had
> > their own Release file, did't they?) or "bobsrandomarchive"?
>
> Hmm. No, the NewFileVer function does not sort the linked list in any
> way, this is necessary to do the download fail over stuff. However, since
> the order is in the sources.list order the result is actually rather
> sensible, it tells you where it will be downloaded from. I think this is
> probably acceptable because it is the same output that the user will see
> when running 'apt-get install ..'

  Ok, I see.  That sounds reasonable.

  Daniel

|   It is very dark.  If you proceed you are likely to be eaten by a grue.    |
\-- Does your computer have Super Cow Powers? ------- http://www.debian.org --/