apt_preferences

 I think that "aptitude" does not handle "/etc/apt/preferences" (man
 apt_preferences) correctly, and I have a question about what "apt-get
 dist-upgrade" is supposed to do.

 First of all, does "aptitude" support the "apt_preferences" mechanism
 described in the "apt_preferences" man page?  If not, it should!  I'm
 having a hard time telling if it has done the right thing or not --
 there is no indicator as to what release each package is to be
 downloaded from until it actually prints the URI while pulling them
 in.  IIRC, it pulled several or all of the updates from "unstable"
 when it should have pulled them from "testing" (see below for
 config).

 Secondly, does "apt-get dist-upgrade" override the preferences
 policy, or not?  I don't think it should (unless you document that
 behavior...) unless the "--target-release" switch is given.  I'd
 prefer that it require the explicit switch.  Also, and indication of
 where those packages may be downloaded from (or if already
 downloaded, what release they belong to according to the Packages
 files) would be useful.  Can you make a long form (like ls -la) of
 the "-u" switch please?  Shall I wishlist that?

 I've got a machine that has both "unstable" and "testing" listed in
 the "sources.list".  There is a "preferences" file that sets a
 default Pin on "testing", and the "apt-cache policy" command shows
 that it's set the way I want.  "testing" is the default release, and
 unless I explictly ask for a package from "unstable", none of the
 tools should select one during automatic upgrade procedures.

 I _think_ that "aptitude" may have violated that policy though, but
 am not sure.  The "preferences" policy behaviour is very important in
 cases where an admin is keeping a local apt download repository with
 homebuilt packages that shadow the Debian ones for whatever
 reason. (crypto, for instance)

# apt-cache policy
Package Files:
 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     release a=now
 500 http://non-us.debian.org unstable/non-US/non-free Packages
     release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=non-US/non-free
     origin non-us.debian.org
 500 http://non-us.debian.org unstable/non-US/contrib Packages
     release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=non-US/contrib
     origin non-us.debian.org
 500 http://non-us.debian.org unstable/non-US/main Packages
     release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=non-US/main
     origin non-us.debian.org
 989 http://non-us.debian.org testing/non-US/non-free Packages
     release o=Debian,a=testing,l=Debian,c=non-US/non-free
     origin non-us.debian.org
 989 http://non-us.debian.org testing/non-US/contrib Packages
     release o=Debian,a=testing,l=Debian,c=non-US/contrib
     origin non-us.debian.org
 989 http://non-us.debian.org testing/non-US/main Packages
     release o=Debian,a=testing,l=Debian,c=non-US/main
     origin non-us.debian.org
 500 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/non-free Packages
     release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=non-free
     origin http.us.debian.org
 500 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/contrib Packages
     release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=contrib
     origin http.us.debian.org
 500 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main Packages
     release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=main
     origin http.us.debian.org
 989 http://http.us.debian.org testing/non-free Packages
     release o=Debian,a=testing,l=Debian,c=non-free
     origin http.us.debian.org
 989 http://http.us.debian.org testing/contrib Packages
     release o=Debian,a=testing,l=Debian,c=contrib
     origin http.us.debian.org
 989 http://http.us.debian.org testing/main Packages
     release o=Debian,a=testing,l=Debian,c=main
     origin http.us.debian.org
Pinned Packages:

--
mailto: (Karl M. Hegbloom) karlheg@microsharp.com