apt-get source: bug or feature?

Dear apt-developpers,

I already posted this question to debian-devel but received no answer yet:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200109/msg01826.html

In short, "apt-get source" should work for the normal user. But it only
does if root has umask set correctly upon (every) invokation of "apt-get
update" or does something similar.

In my opinion either this behaviour should be documented somewhere or it
should be changed.

Kind regards,
Jens

P.S. I did not file a bug report yet because I wanted to ask what the
expected (though not documented) behaviour of apt is. After that, I will
send in the correct bug report.