FYI on recent install/upgrade of testing/unstable

I might have people on the list who don't want to be, and I
might have missed some.  However, I believe you are likely
to be the group most insterested.

I recently decided to upgrade my OLD Slackware print server
to Debian.  Next to this print server, is a "workstation"
running Debian more or less set up for doing GIS work.  The
hardware between the two is nominally identical, save for
disks and an extra TokenRing card in the workstation allowing
it to be dual homed (and have Internet access).  IBM 14U with
PPro-200 (single).  Not state of the art by any means.

Anyway, I got started with this by putting images on 14 (15?)
floppies (boot, root, drivers1, ... base1, base2, ...).
Once that was done, I used apt-get to basically produce a
nearly exact copy of all the packages on the workstation
(obtained by dkpg -l).  The workstation was running squid,
in order to allow apt-get to get files by http.

Once I had a "base system" installed, I wanted to bring the
print server up to testing/unstable status (leaving the
workstation at stable).  apt-get install dist-upgrade worked
fine for downloading files, but it couldn't handle the unpacking
and configuring very well at all.  The first crash occured
when perl5.6 - warnings.pm could not be found in @INC.  I manually
installed a warnings.pm from my home system.  Then it crashed
looking for Exporter/Heavy.pm.  I figured that perl-5.6 needed
a full install at that point, so I manually did an apt-get install
of all perl-5.6 modules (except for threading).  That got past
the perl related crashing.  The install crashed on asclock-themes
and eeyes trying to write graphics files that some other package
had already installed.  Installing these 2 packages with dpkg
--force-overwrite got past that hurdle.

Then, I did a series of
 apt-get install dist-upgrade
 apt-get install --fix-missing
 apt-get install -f
 dpkg --configure -a
In various orders and times.  Partially this was because I
had compiled a custom 2.2.18pre21 kernel while this machine
was still at the stable stage with the Debian package wrapper
system.  apt-get just couldn't get by without wanting to delete
this custom kernel I had installed.

One thing I want to do, is to share /usr/share between the
2 Intel machines running different versions of Debian.  It
is probably going to be fun.

Anyway, I'm not complaining on any of this.  I like Debian.
I just thought the information might be useful, and since
this machine isn't connected to the Internet, I manually
constructed the letter.

Thanks,
Gord

Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101  9504 182 St. NW    Edmonton, AB, CA  T5T 3A7
780/481-8019            ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
780/993-1274 (cell)