apt problem breaking buildd building of gnumeric, guppi (and others?)

[Apologies for possible duplicates - I had some addresses wrong on my first
try]

I'm trying to get up to date gnumeric packages into testing. It is my
intention for woody to ship with a >= 1.0 gnumeric (upstream 1.0 is expected
today). Unfortunately, I'm running into buildd problems I can't solve by
myself.

Occasionally, buildd attempts to construct the chroot environment to build
gnumeric in fail in a peculiar way when dealing with gnumeric's source
dependencies, like in this abbreviated buildlog:

	Automatic build of gnumeric_0.99.1-1 on sarti by sbuild/hppa 1.159
	[...]
	** Using build dependencies supplied by package:
	Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 3.0), libtool, automake (>= 1.4-p4-1), autoconf (>
	[...]
	10-3), libgnome-dev (>= 1.4.1.2-4), libgnomeprint-dev (>= 0.32-3), libglade-gno
	[...]
	Checking for already installed source dependencies...
	[...]
	libgnome-dev: missing
	[...]
	Checking for source dependency conflicts...
	  /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/apt-get $CHROOT_OPTIONS -q -y install debhelper libtoo
	l automake autoconf gettext bison flex docbook-utils intltool libglib1.2-dev li
	bgnome-dev libgnomeprint-dev libglade-gnome0-dev libxml-dev libgal-dev libole2-
	dev libbonobo-dev python2.2-dev gnome-doc-tools
	Reading Package Lists...
	Building Dependency Tree...
	[...]
	  libgnomeprint15 libgnomesupport0 libgnomeui32 libgnorba-dev libgnorba27
	[...]
	[...]
	  libglib1.2 libglib1.2-dev libgnome-dev libgnome32 libgnomeprint-bin
	[...]
	(Reading database ... 20304 files and directories currently installed.)
	Selecting previously deselected package libgnorba-dev.
	Unpacking libgnorba-dev (from .../libgnorba-dev_1.4.1.2-10_hppa.deb) ...
	[...]
	(Reading database ... 20640 files and directories currently installed.)
	[...]
	Selecting previously deselected package libgnome-dev.
	Unpacking libgnome-dev (from .../libgnome-dev_1.4.1.2-10_hppa.deb) ...
	[...]
	dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libgnome-dev:
	 libgnome-dev depends on libgnorba-dev (>= 1.4.1.2-4); however:
	  Package libgnorba-dev is not configured yet.
	dpkg: error processing libgnome-dev (--configure):
	[...]
	 libgnome-dev
	apt-get failed.
	Package installation failed
	Trying to reinstall removed packages:
	Trying to uninstall newly installed packages:
	[...]
	Source-depedencies not satisfied; skipping gnumeric

The problem is not limited to gnumeric; a non-gnumeric examples is this
build of guppi:
http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=guppi&ver=0.40.2-3&arch=hppa&stamp=1008537534&file=log&as=raw

I suspect it is caused by apt not handling some of the dependencies of the
gnumeric's source dependencies properly, in particular
	libgnome-dev Depends: libgnorba-dev (>= 1.4.1.2-4)
	libgnorba-dev Depends: libgnome-dev (>= 1.2.13-5)
which (as I understand it) should cause apt to have dpkg unpack and
configure these packages in one go (as with other cyclic dependencies, e.g.
g++ and libstdc++-dev).

I'd strongly appreciate suggestions for a fix or a reasonable workaround;
I'd appreciate it if the porters could put gnumeric (and guppi) on their
list of "packages that possibly need manual intervention" in the meantime.

Regards,
Ray
--
"But if you look carefully at their [Microsoft's] encryption algorithm, they
simply XOR the password with 'susageP', Pegasus spelled backwards. Pegasus