Re: Performance of tagfile scanning and similar things

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Daniel Burrows wrote:

>   This code is called once per package (to build a list of which
> packages are in each task)  If I make it always return an empty list,
> the performance is reasonable even on low-end machines.  Similarly,

Unless you sort the list of versions by location on the disk the runtime
can be quite slow indeed. 'apt-cache dumpavail' is about what you are
doing and you can measure how fast it runs vs what you are up to.

That fact that you are seeing 1s on a modern box vs 30 mins reported
suggests it is thrashing the disk cache.