strange behavior

Dear apt maintainer,

I have a debian system (mostly potato, but glibc is updated to
woody version). Recently I installed apt, and was able to
run "apt-get update" successfully. I put the unstable directory
in the source list for the update. But when I try to install
a program like links-ssl using apt by "apt-get install links-ssl"
apt-get consumes 95% CPU resources indefinitely, with the
apt process stalled in its initial stage. Even I could not kill
the process, and had to turn off the system to free the system.
Strangely, I was  able to upgrade a program when I used stable directory
as the apt source. Could you give me some help here?
Thank you.

Taekoon