Re: enhancing apt-get for meta packages

On 20 Jul 1999, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> A possible solution is to enhance apt-get by a --task option, so that
> apt-get --task install task-ftpserver task-webserver will pull the
> dependancies as usual, and installs the packages, *but not* the
> packages given at the command line.

It would be better to give the package itself a 'task' flag which
would prevent APT from ever installing it, but would allow it to go
through and select it's dependencies for installation.

For some time the netscape packages have used a similar scheme. They use
the tag 'Meta-Package: yes' to indicate that they are a 'task' package.

If you can get approval of the policy group then I can add a feature like
this for you.