Re: apt/dselect unnice ness

On 24-Feb-99 Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Shaleh wrote:
>
>> I sometimes forget and try to run dselect as a user (thinking I had run sudo
>> dselect).  When I choose [I]nstall it claims something is locking a file
>> /var.
>> A nice "you should be root" would be far kinder for the less informed.
>
> What? You mean this:
>
> Wakko{jgg}~#apt-get dselect-upgrade
> E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
> E: Unable to lock the administration directory /var/lib/dpkg/, are you
> root? - Open (13 Permission denied)
>
> Jason

$ dselect

< I choose [i]nstall >

E: Could not open lock file /var/cache/apt/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
E: Couldn't lock the cache dir, /var/cache/apt/ another process is using it
Some errors occurred while unpacking. I'm going to configure the
packages that were installed. This may result in duplicate errors
or errors caused by missing dependencies. This is OK, only the errors
above this message are important. Please fix them and run [I]nstall again
Press enter to continue.

It looks like some other process is holding the lock.. The rest of the error
drowns out the (13 permission denied).  It does not mention root.

If not root, it should simply say: You need to run this as root and kill the
rest of the errors.

I was able to figure this out fairly quick (once I noticed the lack of sudo).
A fellow on #Debian the other night kept complaining that something was holding
the lock for apt.  He prolly was doing the same thing.