Re: gnome-apt segfaults

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999 john@dhh.gt.org wrote:
> hasler/~ sudo gnome-apt &
> [1] 19616
> hasler/~ Gnome Apt Frontend-DEBUG: Got arguments:
> Unable to connect to server port 35091
> GImLib ERROR: Cannot find palette file /etc/im_palette.pal
> gdk_imlib: Cannot Find Palette. A Palette is required for this mode

Thanks for the report. This bug really belongs to gnome-libs and/or imlib,
as best I can tell without a backtrace. My im_palette.pal is in
/etc/im/im_palette.pal, not /etc/im_palette.pal.  I don't know why yours
is looking for it in the wrong place - as a workaround you might try
a symlink. But it's a bug anyway.

The problem is that gdk_imlib_init() fails in this case. gnome-libs calls
gdk_imlib_init(). But imlib has no way of reporting that the init failed.
So gnome-libs continues like nothing happened and sooner or later crashes.
At least, that is my guess.

As a fix, I would recommend that imlib provide error checking so Gnome can
bail gracefully. (or if imlib does provide checking that I don't see
offhand, that Gnome use it.)

Thanks,
Havoc