Re: GUI for apt/apt-get

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 18, 1999 at 09:47:21PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > The gnome-apt program particularly needs work, ever since Havoc was hired
> > by Red Hat he has not had time for it.
>
> That's such a diplomatic way of putting it that it borders on bald-faced lie.

Just to clarify - there was a long time before I worked at Red Hat that I
hadn't done much with gnome-apt. It was already stalled due to the lack of
a tree widget (or rather, the need to write a halfway decent one). This
requires a huge time investment and I don't have time because of GNOME,
not Red Hat.

The ChangeLog (such as it is, it doesn't start until after I'd written
most of the app) basically stalls in March, is quiet for a few months due
to GNOME, I did some minor work in June, went to Red Hat in late July, and
did some more gnome-apt stuff in August. I have been explicitly told by
Red Hat that they don't care if I work on it. In fact I keep trying to get
someone to port libapt-pkg to RPM but I think it's a substantial hunk of
work.

I know this won't reassure the already-paranoid, but what can I say.
The core GNOME stuff that needs doing is just more critical to free
software right this minute, IMHO.

I sent Salman extensive mail about what work needs doing, and my advice on
that; as I have for everyone else that's been interested in working on it.
FWIW one of my main suggestions is to just change the UI so you don't need
a fast tree widget in the short term. :-P I think that's the way to go if
someone is going to get serious and finish it up. Also, I wouldn't be
offended by a start-from-scratch; there are some yucky things about my
code, in retrospect.

Havoc