build problem on solaris

OK, so I'm a little crazy... but doogie's dpkg-src made me thing that I
could use it to get the latest sources and make life on the solaris systems
here a little easier automatically by getting hte latest source, compiling a
.deb under solaris, and installing it.  First step: compile apt.  This is
right out of the /cvs/deity

I'll try to fix problems as I see them and submit patches- if not I'll
describe the problems. If you want more info, drop me a line.

Nils.

~/misc/debian/apt > uname -a
SunOS bernin 5.7 Generic_106541-02 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-5
~/misc/debian/apt > gcc --version
2.95.1
~/misc/debian/apt >

- after cvs co

~/misc/debian/apt > make startup
/bin/sh: test: argument expected
make: *** [build/config.status] Error 1
~/misc/debian/apt >
~/misc/debian/apt > make -d startup
GNU Make version 3.77, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
...etc...
  Considering target file `build/config.status'.
   File `build/config.status' does not exist.
    Considering target file `configure'.
    File `configure' was considered already.
   Finished dependencies of target file `build/config.status'.
  Must remake target `build/config.status'.
/bin/sh: test: argument expected
Got a SIGCHLD; 1 unreaped children.
Putting child 0x0004f048 PID 17876 on the chain.
Live child 0x0004f048 PID 17876
Reaping losing child 0x0004f048 PID 17876
make: *** [build/config.status] Error 1
Removing child 0x0004f048 PID 17876 from chain.
~/misc/debian/apt >

- during ./configure...

checking for c++... c++
grep: illegal option -- q
Usage: grep -hblcnsviw pattern file . . .
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++  ) works... yes

- also during ./configure...
checking for Gpm_Open in -lgpm... no
checking system architecture... configure: error: failed: use --host=