Re: Some questions on apt-pkg

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Daniel Burrows wrote:

>   Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but this seems like the Wrong Way to do
> things...  As I understand it, you want me to override (in my own tool) the
> calculation of the candidate version of a package so that some packages will
> have a different candidate version than the 'normal' one.  The problem here is
> that this isn't standard across the apt tools, and in fact isn't even written
> back to the disk as far as I can tell, so if (for example) the user downgrades
> package foo from version 1.06-1 to 1.05-9, the next run of 'apt-get upgrade'
> will clobber this change and bring foo back to 1.06-1.

Yes.. That is primarily because nobody has come up with a complete means
to specify the desired candidate version that can account of all the
features people want. Right now nobody has even made a tool that can at
all change the version field, even though it is possible.

>   I thought (maybe I'm wrong :/ ) that there were fields in the apt cache which
> could be used to override and/or influence the automatic selection of candidate
> versions: Package::TargetVer and Package::TargetDist.  Am I wrong here?  What

I would ignore these fields, they were an experiment.