Re: CPS rate patch for apt

On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 03:09:16PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> More accurate in this case is highly subjective. Your patch converts the
> instantenous CPS into a running CPS which gives very poor results when you
> have parallel downloads going or get large inter-file delays when using
> ftp.

I'll agree that this is a subjective topic, but... :-)

Does CurrentBytes not get updated with all bytes coming in on a
parallel download?  I thought it did.

If CurrentBytes == the total number of bytes that have arrived (all
parallel bytes included), then I don't see how that could cause a
problem.  (Please enlighten me here...  could you give me an example
of a poor result in this case?)

I also don't see how a large inter-file delay could cause a problem.
Such a delay would add to the total time the download is taking.
This amount of time is something I would want the CPS calculation to
account for, since the ETA prediction is based on it.  I would want
all possible delays accounted for so that the ETA is more "accurate." :-)
If I happen to get long inter-file delays, this will affect how long
I have to wait for the download to finish.

I guess what I'm saying is that I want a running CPS. :-)  The instanteous
one can mess up the ETA calculation in some cases.

Thanks for the reply,
- Chris

"Chase the dream, not the competition."
     - motto of the Nemesis Air Racing Team