Re: apt packages.gz caching

> It does cache timestamps, but it has no way of knowing if a new site had
> the same package files as the old one, often it is switching because of
> outofdateness or corruption.

I mean, I am using two of my favourite sites in source.list.
One of them is down, apt-get complaints. I remove it.
A bit later it's back in business. I re-add it to the source list.
The problem is, apt-get now downloads the packages file again.

I've tested it. I've ran 3 apt-get update sessions:
1. with the 2 sites
2. only one of them (apt-get purges cached data for the other site, I believe)
3. again, with the two site config

IMHO apt-get should not purge data for removed sites.
Apt would delete them after lying there a month or so (config) unused.
Admins also should purge unused data by using a (new) command.

BTW. I have an imho nice feature on my mind.
It would be great to have apt to download packages for an _other_ machine.
User would supply the other machine's status file and a directory to which to
downoad the archives. If you say implement it yourself, that's ok. :)
(In this case please add me to this list)

Best regards,
rob - László, Róbert - rob@sch.bme.hu - http://www.sch.bme.hu/~rob

Have I said apt is great?