Prioritized sources.list

I was wondering if any progress has been made on the issue below
(see also bugs 26223 and 22551).

I would summarize the issue like this: the desired functionality is

1. I say, "foo sounds cool" and want to install it, but don't want to
   download the large file from unstable. apt installs from CD.
2) I say, "I need the newest version of foo," and tell apt to get that
   version from unstable along with dependencies satisfied first from CD and
   then from unstable.

In general, what is your view on this? Is it a very large project? I would
be willing to help.

Thanks,
Keep up the good work.

Andy