Re: Compiling Gnome-APT on a fresh Slink box

On Sun, 16 May 1999, Martin Schulze wrote:

> > But you might have some success if you install the gnome-stage-slink
> > packages and the newest apt before compiling.
>
> And it doesn't work anything better with the staging Gnome.

Well, at least it compiles. :-)

> Torsten has gotton it to work but it crashes, iirc.

For me, the next-to-latest potato .deb crashed after downloading packages
but before spawning dpkg; the very latest potato .deb instantly segfaults
when it tries to access the package cache (if you run it as non-root, the
Gnome part successfully pops up an error dialog and exits cleanly; so I
suspect it's dying in libapt-pkg).

I think both of these are some kind of library problem. I've been having
lots of instability with potato.

I don't have a slink system to try it on; if you can send me a backtrace,
I can at least determine if it's nonsense likely to be caused by screwy
library mismatches, or a reasonable gnome-apt bug.

Nothing has actually changed about gnome-apt in months, and it definitely
did work a few months ago, so whatever is wrong is most likely a library
issue (or simple bit rot...)

I can look at it in detail in a couple weeks; until then, insight is
welcome.

Thanks,
Havoc