Re: apt with ftp proxy

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Pierre Monestie wrote:

> Hello,
> I hope it is the right place to ask this question:
> I try to use apt/ftp to install the new slink. The problem is that I'm
> under a firewall. I tried to set the ftp_proxy variable but it doesn't
> work. In the previous version of debian I was configuring dselect like
> that:

The latest APT (>= 0.3.2) supports FTP proxy severs, you can get it from

http://csl.cse.ucsc.edu/~ben/apt/

You will want to edit /etc/apt/apt.conf and put something similar to

Acquire::Ftp
{
   Proxy "ftp://gate/";;
   ProxyLogin
   {
      "USER $(SITE_USER)@$(SITE)";
      "PASS $(SITE_PASS)";
   }
}

Which instructs APT how to open a connection to your proxy. It will then
be able to communicate with any ftp server automatically.

Please note that this hasn't been hugely tested but it should work, let me
know your results please.