apt versus dselect

One thing I noticed straight away when I used apt-get to upgrade to 2.1
(having previously used dselect) was... nothing worked.  The reason was that
I had obtained most of my packages from the Internet, using Shift-click in
Netscape.  I hadn't noticed that when you do this, Netscape changes all but
the last period in the filename to an underscore.  Apparently dselect can
handle this, but apt can't.

So a couple of WIBNIs (Wouldn't It Be Nice If):
- if apt could allow _ in place of .
- if Netscape could save the files better (!)
- if a utility could maybe read the Packages file and change the _ to . in
the filenames.

Once I got that working (took several passes - just changing all the _
except the first to . works for 90% of packages but not 100%, eg ones with
2.0.36_2.0.36 in them), apt is very nice.  I don't feel it's shouting at me
like dselect does when it finds a conflict.

|\ | o  _ |/                               Life's like a jigsaw
| \| | |_ |\                          You get the straight bits
                    But there's something missing in the middle

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)fr)