Re: Size of a du index for packages (Complete index = 74 K)

On 29 May 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> >>"Edward" == Edward Betts <edward@hairnet.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
>  Edward> This is great
>  Edward> shove all of them on the ftp site, apt does an intstall finds I have
>  Edward> partitions / and /usr and gets packages.2.gz
>  Edward> or if apt does an install and finds I have /, /usr, /usr/lib get
>  Edward> packages.3.gz
>
> 	Yes, indeed. There were some comments about patitions mounted
>  via exotic methods may not be visible in /etc/mtab; in which case we
>  can make the checkdu script additionally read /etc/apt/extra-partitions
>  or something foe sites that use such partitions, and still work
>  automagically for the most common case of simpler sites (which use
>  local disks and NFS).
>
> 	It is trivial to modify checkdu to determine the required depth.
>
> 	manoj

More serious problem, though, manoj, is symlinks.

Personally, I quite frequently use symlinks to spread my load around
partitions (in situations where the required partition load changed, and
repartitioning isn't an option).

So, this probably means that for each directory which uses space in the
package, you have to stat() each path-component to check if it's a
symlink..

Jules