Re: Failed upgrade bo->hamm with apt

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Brandon Mitchell wrote:

> dpkg: libreadline2: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you
> request:
>  bash depends on libreadline2 (>= 2.1); however:
>   Package libreadline2 is to be removed.
>  gnuplot depends on libreadline2 (>= 2.1).
>  gdb depends on libreadline2 (>= 2.1).
>  netstd depends on libreadline2 (>= 2.1).
>  libreadline2-dev depends on libreadline2 (= 2.1-2).
> (Reading database ... 14338 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing libreadline2 ...
> (Reading database ... 14331 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking libreadlineg2 (from libreadlineg2_2.1-9.deb) ...
> Setting up libreadlineg2 (2.1-9) ...
> dpkg: error processing libreadlineg2 (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script killed by signal (Segmentation
> fault), core
>  dumped
> Setting up netbase (3.07-1) ...

Okay, the next version of apt (.14) will order so that bash is directly
after the install of libreadlineg2 and that netbase/netstd is after that.
I have also emailed Guy about making libreadlineg2 not depend on bash (C
postinst).

However - there is no rule that says this is the only solution, it is
possible for a package to get inserted between bash and libreadlineg2 -
but that is not likely with the current configuration of hamm. (Remeber
that bash is not the only package that breaks when libreadline2 is
removed, netstd, gdb and libreadline2-dev also do as well, bash will win
out because it starts with 'b' and is essential - hardly ideal.)

Removing packages that essential packages depend on will always be a risky
problem :< A similar problem will occure if someone attempts to remove
libc5 when the target system is all libc6 - this situation is actually
impossible to deal with, you MUST upgrade libc5 before you can remove it.

NOTE: Things are much safer so long as libreadline2 is not removed while
bash is installed. Tomorrow I may try to write a quick routine that warns
if you are removing an essential package dependent before you begin.

Also, I continue to advocate the use of 'apt-get dist-upgrade' over
dselect, it will never make these sorts of choices.