Re: Failed upgrade bo->hamm with apt

On 21 May 1998, Sven Rudolph wrote:

> > Well, this isn't pretty. You didn't say what installation method you used,
> > but it sounds like dselect-upgrade. What happened is this,
> >
> > dselect marked libreadline for removal (this is what caused the failure)
> > to remove libreadline we have to install a new bash
> > to install a new bash we have to install libreadlineg
> > to install libreadlineg we need to remove libreadline
>
> Last is wrong: To install libreadlineg we need to update libreadline.
>
> libreadlineg2 conflicts with older versions of libreadline2:
> Conflicts: libreadline2 (<< 2.1-2.1)
>
> The libreadline2 in oldlibs is >= 2.1-2.1, so it doesn't conflict with
> libreadlineg2.

Yes, but the user has said they want it removed - I'm not about to
download and install a new package just to remove it in a few seconds,
that adds far too much complication at this point - I also think it's not
usefull for anything but this single case.

The best option is probably to try to detect this situation and abort.