Re: Failed upgrade bo->hamm with apt

Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> writes:
> Well, this isn't pretty. You didn't say what installation method you used,
> but it sounds like dselect-upgrade.

Yes, Brandon, you need to be very explicit about what method you use
to upgrade with apt (or anything), since there's always More Than One
Way To Do It TM.

> What happened is this,
[...]
> I would almost suggest that unless there is a critical reason why
> libreadlineg conflicts with libreadline that conflicts line be removed so
> it can order properly in the case of bash being removed.

Has this been discussed with the bash maintainer?  We should do an NMU
if this is definately the right solution and Guy is busy (I hereby
volunteer, though I'm pretty busy too ;).

> In light of this I recommend that everyone install bash first before
> attempting to upgrade any more, or use dist-upgrade which usually won't
> remove libreadline.

Actually I'd like to point out that I did a pure 'apt dist-upgrade'
bo->hamm install (report next msg) and did not hit this problem.  I
suggest that we recommend 'apt dist-upgrade' rather than dselect bo to
hamm upgrades; it's a little easier to deal with on the debugging and
replication side too.

> Also, in future, please save a copy of your /var/lib/dpkg/status file
> before doing an upgrade - if something goes wrong in APT I can duplicate
> it here with the information in that file.

This is a very good point.  Brandon, or whoever's running this list,
we should compile a recipe for testing apt for bo-> hamm upgrades, and
this would be a good early step.