Subject: Re: New APT version

Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:

> > On Tue, 5 May 1998, Joey Hess wrote:
> >
> > > This makes me wonder if we should think about dropping autoup as
> > > the preferred way to upgrade to hamm, and switch to apt. On the one
> > > hand, autoup has been tested pretty thouroghly and we shouldn't risk
> > > postponing debian 2.0 to work out bugs in apt. On the other hand,
> > > I've never seen autoup as anything but a hack. Apt also lets people
> > > accomplish the entire bo -> hamm upgrade from inside dselect, which
> > > is much cleaner.
>
> i agree. if apt can do it and is ready in time for testing then we
> should certainly drop autoup and use apt instead.

I'm new to this list, and honestly, I haven't tried using apt yet, and
here's why: currently, the deb package depends on libc6.  Hmmm... using it
for upgrades might take some more thought.... :-)

(I haven't followed all the discussion before--like I said, I'm new to the
list--and I only read the digest--but I'm assuming people who used apt to
upgrade compiled the source themselves on a libc5 system.... I haven't had
the chance to do that yet, nor do I have a non-production machine to test
it on right now.  Too bad, really--sounds like it could be really useful.)

-----
Kevin Squire
k-squire@cs.titech.ac.jp
Research Student