Re: Special upgrade rules from rex->bo->hamm

> If we put conflicts and depends
> lines on it then it will be able to manipulate the package state simply by
> installing it. Automatic removal and installation will occur just as if it
> were a normal package.

I don't think you can use dependencies and conflicts for this.
We want it to upgrade only _selected_ packages and their dependencies.

If magic packages work for the users but the developers have to push a
button, it sounds like a win to me. Put a control file field in the
package called "Deity-Special-Debian-Version: 2.0". When this is seen,
it's compared with the same field in the installed version. If the new
one is greater, you get the dialogue asking if you want to upgrade. Say
yes, and it's the same effect as if you were pushing the upgrade button.
This package would be put in a release just at the time that it becomes
stable. While it is unstable, the archive would not contain the magic
package and you would not get the prompt.

	Thanks

	Bruce