Re: hamm is pretty big

On 11 Jan 1998, Guy Maor wrote:

> Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> writes:
>
> > 522460  hamm/binary-i386
> > 22323   contrib/binary-i386
> > 98145   non-free/binary-i386
> > 26916   hamm/disks-i386
> > 669844  total
>
> A third CD isn't a problem.  Not having all the binary archive on one
> CD is a problem.  You better start thinking about how Deity will cope
> with not having all the packages available at once.

Joy. I suppose it was inevitable. We will have to figure out how to
work that into the ordering routines to prevent excessive cd swapping...

For the record, it would be best if we could optimize the split between
CDs so that there are no inter-dependancies. The simplest is to put
packages that are not depended on by anything on the 2nd CD, or something
to that effect.

The bigger problem is likely going to be that dselect is going to
have a horrific time dealing with a split, and Deity is not likely going
to be ready for the release.