Re: Deity Icons

Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:

> > A few small things:
> >
> > - The suggests icons seems to be missing.
>
> Yeah there are a lot missing still.. I have not done all.. That is a 'work
> in progress'-page :)

Sure thing.  I just found it conspicuous by its absence.  8)

> > - Could you draw Bruce's idea for a conflicts icon so we can see what it
> > looks like compared to the red crossed out circle?
>
> Ok will do when I find time...

Of course.

> > - the chain for depends isn't a bad metaphore, but unfortunatly is
> > already used in some places (although not in Deity) to represent web
> > links.  Perhaps another metaphore might be better?
>
> I see. Have you any suggestions? IMHO a globe represents weblink better..

I agree.  My slight objection stems from several web pages I have seen
where a similar graphic to your proposed "depends" icons were used to
represent a web link.  I do not contend that that is a good metaphore,
just one that is used else where.

I must admit, I've racked my brains, and I can not come up with a better
idea.  Perhaps it would be best to just see whether someone else thinks
of another metaphore worth considering.  These are afterall, as you say,
a work in progress. If noone can think of a viable alternative, I think
the current icon with do very nicely.

> It is not that easy to come up with icons that create the right
> association, especially for all people.. For example the lightning means
> some kind of conflict to me (or 'DANGER'), but I guess someone sees it as
> 'extra power'... So that is not nice if some user wants to set up a 'power
> system' :) 'Yo! Me is gonna install all da POWER packages, man!'

Agreed.  It is difficult to make an unambiguous icon.  In fact it has
been found that most icons (if not all) are not very intuitive at all.
Icons become "intuitive" once learned.  I.e. the page, folder, and disk
buttons on all MS apps mean "New", "Open", and "Save" to most people who
have used them before, but try watching someone who has never used them
before.  These icons hardly scream the meanings to which Microsoft has
ascribed to them (as is evident when trying to explain them to new
users).  These are meanings users learn and then accept.  There is no
such thing as a completely intuitive interface (or icon).  All we can do
is make the learning curve for our users as simple as possible.

This is of course why using consitent GUI metaphores across many
programs is so effective in creating a so called "intuitive interface".
This is why Apple did so well in trying to enforce the look-and-feel of
all Macintosh apps.

Behan

--
Behan Webster     mailto:behanw@verisim.com