Re: Things Havoc needs..

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Havoc Pennington wrote:

>  - Internationalization. gnome-apt strings are translated by gettext,
>    we already have a French translation from Vincent Renardias, but
>    strings from apt-pkg are not translated. Possible solutions
>    include using gettext in libapt-pkg, or having the apt-pkg strings
>    be "replaceable" somehow.

AFAIK gettext has issues with this. Apparently you are not supposed to put
strings in libraries. Blah I say.

>  - Machine editing of sources.list

Oh um, erm.. I guess so :|

>  - "Cancel" feature for download dialog

This I think can be done easially.. I'd like to wait till I can test it
thought..

>  - For the Import/Export package list items, I'm not really sure what
>    the implementation involves. Maybe it will involve apt-pkg.
>    I haven't thought about it.

I'm not sure what these were to do, wasn't it just a list of selected
packages?

>  - I still haven't written the "extract list of sections" function,
>    perhaps this should be part of the cache?

Not sure, it is fairly easy to generate from the current data - I guess it
depends on what you are doing.

>  - gnome-apt is kind of a mess on handling multiple available versions.
>    I was noticing this with apt-get too - not sure how to downgrade
>    a package, or install a variant version.

Yes, a function to se the available version is neede, along with something
else but that I'm not sure of.

>  - I kind of feel that "Package Status" should be a library thing.
>    I randomly invented some status categories, but I think it would
>    make sense for apt-get and any future frontends to use the same ones.
>    This code (along with lots of other dubious code, often I don't
>    know what the hell I'm doing when I move out of gnome-land :-) can be
>    found in pkgutil.cc.

What is Package Status?