bug in apt 0.3.0 deb

I was playing the Che_Fox's new debs(hot off irc!) and did a little testing.
apt-get --help showed the following option, -o

# apt-get upgrade -o=dir::cache=/tmp
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages have been kept back
  apache-ssl postgresql-dev xserver-8514 timidity whiptail cheops
106 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
E: Could not open lock file /tmp/archives/lock - open (2 No such file or
directory)
E: Unable to lock the download directory

Um, why?  Why do I need the archives dir?  Better docs, or should the dir be
auto-created by apt-get(actually, it s/b /tmp/lock, etc).

Adam