Re: Apt UI design

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> > You'll need g++ and libstdc++2.9. To make use of the library from your
> > program you'll want to include -L .../apt/build/lib and -I
> > .../apt/build/include and use -lapt-pkg. You will have to set
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> No problem for development, but I noticed there's no make install or make
> dist. Is production code always statically linked? How does this work?

Well presumably when Ben writes the debian/ he will integrate the
equivilent of make install in there. The thing is he will have to split it
up into a bunch of packages so no matter what make install I write for the
makefiles it will not do exactly what he wants, seems like a waste of
effort :<

> > I would put it in a seperate module in the APT cvs, putting it in the
> > gnome cvs means that I can't write to it which is bad :>
>
> The one issue here is the 'macros' directory with all the Gnome .m4 files;
> this is shared between all the Gnome modules and included in each.
> We will have to be careful not to make local changes to it without
> propagating them upstream, and keep our copy in sync.

Bleck. :> Maybe someone should cook up a gnome macros package so we can
just include them when building configure + makefiles.