Re: New Method Spec

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Adam Heath wrote:

> >      4.   If-Modified-Since (IMS) checking for index files
> Not just for index files.

Actually it was specificly intended for index files and that is the only
time it was used.

> I sense that some might confuse this and source.  Maybe change the name of
> source to location?

Location is an even worse choice of words that source :>

> hmm, rsync and cdrom.  Cool.  But no :/ in the cdrom uri?

That's more or less in line with the URI spec.

> Maybe as a way of testing for which way it is being used, the method should
> check the status of stdin, and see if it is open/active.

[..]

> Does the capabilities and requirements get printed out even in cmdline mode?
> That would seem to lead to an incompatibility with the old api.

No, these methods are not backward compatible.

> >      Throught operation of the method communication is done via http style
> >      plain text. Specifically RFC-822 (like the Package file) fields are
> >      used to describe items and a numeric-like header is used to indicate
> >      what is happening. Each of these distinct communication messages
> >      should be sent quickly and without pause.
>
> So, does quoting need to be done on chars sent between the parent and the
> method?

\n is never valid in a field.

> >         * 402 Authorization Required - Method requires authorization to
> >           access the URI. Authorization is User/Pass
>
> I hope this isn't hardcoded to JUST be user/pass.  FTP has user[/pass]
> [/account].  I also hope that the methods have the capability to turn of
> echoing of some of the prompting.

The intent is to allow processing of a Username/Password authentication
scheme and nothing outside that limited scope. If necessary new queries
can be added for new types.

> >      100 Capabilities
> >           Displays the capabilities of the method. Fields: Version,
> >           Single-Interface, Pre-Scan
>             Single-Instance?
>
> Also, possibly the field Config-Item.  This would allow the method to tell APT
> what it's defaults are, and to even say that it has no configurable parts, and
> so APT would not need to send a *601 Configuration* message.

We will have to see how the configuration works out. I don't have any
plans for making an extensible GUI configuration for the methods right
now.

> >           Indicates that a URI has completed being transfered. It is
> >           possible to specify a *201 URI Done* without a *URI Start* which
> >           would mean no data was transfered but the file is now available.
> >           A Filename field is specified when the URI is directly available
> >           in the local pathname space. APT will either directly use that
> >           file or copy it into another location. Fields: URI, Size,
> >           Last-Modified, Filename, MD5-Hash
>
> In the old api, the file: method would redirect apt to the correct location.
> The internet methods would d/l to a certain directory, and not need to notify
> apt of the location.  Is this not so now? Do the internet methods need to
> notify apt of where the downloaded file is located?

The Filename field is optional. Probably should find some ways to mark
them off...