Re: On adding size info to Packages files [very long]

Hi,
>>"Brederlow" == Brederlow  <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

 Brederlow> The size file should be generated by the server. Here are
 Brederlow> the reasons:

	I am (perhaps unnecessarily) worried about time requirements

 Brederlow> 1. The upload should be unpacked to check if the gz is not
 Brederlow>    corrupted. (Far to often some Package is broken)

	This would be a lintian check. It is better done on the
 maintainer machine.

 Brederlow> 2. The du indexes should be gathered and pipe into one file to gain
 Brederlow>    far better compression.

	They shall be, for the Sizes.gz files (analogous to Packages.gz
 file). The reason to have them in a separate dir is that if one
 package changes, it is easier to replace a sizes file, zcat all sizes
 files into a big one, re-gzip that, and get a new Sizes.gz file.

 Brederlow> 3. Maintainer will forget to include a du index or have different
 Brederlow>    block sizes.

	This can be made policy and a lintian check. We have to trust
 the maintainers a trifle ;-)

 Brederlow> The Server should hold a unpacked Version of each Package's du index
 Brederlow> and after processing all uploads it should combine and pack them.

	Quite so.

	manoj
--
 Knowing that one is dear to oneself, one should guard oneself
 well. For one out of the three watches of the night a wise man should