Re: On adding size info to Packages files

Michael Bramer <michael@grisu.weh.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> On Wed, Jun 03, 1998 at 02:25:39AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  Michael> I think the right place is in the *.deb-file.  In the
> >  Michael> control-file (like the description) or as new file in *.deb.
> >
> > 	Why do you think so? You don't give any reasons whatsoever, so
> >  this is not a technical statement, but a mere expression of personal
> >  preference.
>
> Oh yes, I see ..
>
> >              I personally think that is a bad idea for the folowing
> >  reasons:
> >
> >   a) the data is harder to manipulate: as a separate file, dinstall
> >      just has to rename the file to a cache area, and use zcat and
> >      echo to generate the master sizes.gz file.
> >
> >      As a control file, dinstall has to unpack the .deb file and
> >      extract the data.
>
> I think this not a point.
> dinstall get the size.gz file from the .deb file (ar -x) and put it to the
> cache area. I don't see the difference?
> (And for old .deb files: dinstall unpack the .deb file in /tmp/../ and make
> the size.gz-file)

SO I have to downlaod 15 MB of xbooks, just to get told that it wont
fit? BAD IDEA.

> You need the information when you install a package on your debian system.
> I think it is a nice to download only one file to install the package. I
> get often packages with ftp from a mirror and install the packages with:
> dpkg -i *.deb. If the the size information isn't in the debian-package, then i
> must download two files (NAME-VERSION.deb and NAME-VERSION.size.gz) or dpkg
> has no information of the size and can not make a warning message. :-(
>
> We have seperate package-functions and the interface. This is a very good.
> You can install package with:
>   dpkg
>   dselect (with use dpkg)
>   apt (with use also dpkg)
> The du-information is a information like name, version, depends etc.
> The right place is the .deb-file.
>
> Comments?

> Grisu

If you want only one file per package, than stuff it into the
Packages.gz file (probably making a Packages_du.tgz containing
Packages and du_index, and Packages.gz).

If the du info is in the .deb, one has to download it to see if the
file will fit and say dselect or apt can't give informations about
needed size.

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn