Re: logging

    Ben> Hm, this sounds okay. And some sort of cron-job that
    Ben> compresses up logs that are older than a week, deletes logs
    Ben> that are older than ~3 months or something.

    Jason> Hm, could you whip up some perl-magic that can do that?

Sure, but let's agree on an exact standard first.

1) How long should logs be kept uncompressed? I'd guess 1 week.
2) Should logs be deleted? This is a question because apt will not
   be generating regular daily output.
3) If 2), then after how long should logs be deleted? 3 months?

    Jason> I am thinking of also having a apt.log (same form) that has
    Jason> a high level overview (lines like Get ..., Unpack ....,
    Jason> Configure ... etc)

That sounds like a VERY good idea. What the secret to logging
is is making it configurable -- if we can get superverbose logging
and minimalist logging and everything in between apt'll rock
the house.

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters I and U and the number 3.
"* denotes Hot and Spicy!" -- *Ben Gertzfield