Re: apt-get dselect-upgrade doesn't respect the available list

On Sun, Apr 05, 1998 at 12:48:42AM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> >When called with the dselect-upgrade command, apt-get doesn't respect
> >the available, which dselect used to determine the available version
> >and conflict.  In my case, it downloads the dpkg-ftp, gcc and cpp from
> >experimental instead of staying to the same current version (or to
> >upgrade for dpkg-ftp).
>
> apt-get respects the available list if it generates it. If using apt with
> dselect the best results are achived by using the APT deselect method
> selected from the [A]ccess menu (wait for .4 though, the setup script has
> a bug)
>
> APT has a much more flexable system of selecting versions which is
> waiting for the APT gui to be enabled - it in no way considers the
> contents of the available file. The dselect [U]pdate script does generate
> an available file that will prevent dselect from getting confused however.
>
> Till the new method is available I would refrain from including
> experimental in the source list.
>
> Jason

If you say so, I have to trust you... ;) You can close the bugs if you want
then... May be dselect should be clearer about the method changes need a
new update and a new select before installed. I always think it simply
try to get the correct version (as show by the Select method) in place
of getting the more recent. BTW, this is all IMHO of what I expect from
dselect and the related tools.

I'm really looking forward for the GUI enabled version of APT.
For the moment, I used it for installing software and it's really nice.

Thanks,
Fab.

Fabien Ninoles
E-mail: fab@tzone.org
WebPage: http://www.callisto.si.usherb.ca/~94246757
You can get my public key from your nearest public keys server!
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70