Re: Wow

On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, Rev. Joseph Carter wrote:

> > deb http://llug.sep.bnl.gov/debian frozen main contrib non-free
> > deb http://llug.sep.bnl.gov/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> > deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/binary-i386/
> > deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/binary-i386/
> >
> > Which shows the proper way to setup non-US, see sources.list(5).
>
> ahha.  I'd still like a /debian/dists/frozen/non-US which would be the
> BEST way to do it with a notation in there for US FTP sites that non-US

Yeah, this was supposed to have been done a month ago, I will have to bug
someone about it :|

> > > I noticed the http method was all that is implemented.  When I interrupted
> > > getting of a package file because I kinda screwed something up and went
> > > back in later it seemed to continue the file where I left off with it.  I
> > > was not aware http SUPPORTED reget at all.
> >
> > It does, and more.. If you can use it, HTTP is way better than FTP for
> > speed, reliability and features.
>
> Which http servers support reget?  I found ftp to be faster and http
> doesn't time out so well when you lose connection.  Looking back,
> ftp.de.debian.org may support it, but ftp1.us.debian.org appears not to,
> though I'll have to watch closer.

FTP being 'faster' is more than likely an illusion, different transfer
rate displays and so on. Both protocols are simple streaming over TCP. In
truth http tends to be faster because the server is more optimized for
rapid transmission, I get around 10k/s more with http than ftp to llug.
(~5% faster)

The servers that support reget (Range:) are Apache 1.3 (possibly 1.2) and
IBM/Lotus's domino web server. Those are the only ones I have found.

LLug runs roxen (and doesn't support much of anything), ftp1.us.debian.org
runs Apache 1.3 I think.

HTTP (as I implemented it) does not timeout - it waits for the OS to
declare the socket dead. I should add a timeout, but I'm not sure what a
good value would be...