Re: more names

On 7 Feb 1998 bruce@va.debian.org wrote:

> "pkgman" is my favorite so far.
> "freepkg" rythmes with dpkg.

I must say I have always prefered more unusual names, these are kinda
expected.. pkgman makes me think of pkgtool and freepkg doesn't invoke
much in the way for images.

> "alex", for the great library of Alexandria (he was suggesting that the
> program has the characteristics of a good library).

This is kinda more what I was hoping for, but isn't there already and
Alex* in the dist?

A long (v-long :>) time ago I started on a screen library for somether er
other, I was going to call it Writings - a play on Curses (was thinking of
giving the widget libt this name too). I wrote a music player a bit back
called Muse, an artist's 'Muse' is a guiding spirit and provides
aid/insperation to the composer, Muse also has a thinking connotation.

Now Deity is more tricky.. It installs, it manages, it presents, it lists,
maybe 'Scribe' is a suitable name [Suggests a thing that does what you
tell it, sits by your side, imagine a king and his scribe..]. In a similar
vaine a medival apprentice or journyman has a similar relation.

Another track might be to think of it as an etherial guiding aide, a
spirit, ghost, phantom? Luminal.. Etherial...

Commical meaningless names are also fun, 'Yabbit', 'Merp' 'Meep' 'Pejd'
'Dahr' [These mean nothing they are not acronyms]

I have a tendancy toward names that have a very obscure relation to the
program - I dont know if that is good for this sort of tool..

Deity was a nice name in that respect, it suggested control,
manipulativeness, etc.  Berlin has a nice name too :> And I'm not sure of
the meaning but the RC5 'Bovine' name is nifty also. Netscape's SuiteSpot
(Pronounced Sweet Spot meaning the ideal location) is also fairly clever.
I also always thought the naming of quarks was fun, Up, Down, Love, Joy,
etc :>

No time was spent making up these names, perhaps someone else will think
highly of them :>