Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 12:48:50 -0500 (EST)
From: Will Lowe <harpo@udel.edu>
To: Stefan Karrmann <karrmann@math.uni-karlsruhe.de>
Cc: Debian Developers <debian-devel@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: Package unions

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Stefan Karrmann wrote:

> Have you ever thougt of package unions?
I proposed something similar once a few months back as a way to provide
default system installations.  We could have,  for instance,  a package
entitled "simple-debian" that would have no actual binaries,  just
a list of required packages.  A new user could select this package for
install,  and by allowing dselect to resolve all the "require"s,  end up
with a simple preconfigured debian linux system,  because "simple-debian"
would depend on smail,  on base,  etc...

I don't think it's a matter of adding anything to dpkg,  but more a matter
of devising the empty packages and their control files.

                     					Will

|             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |