Re: Auto install code

On 14 Jan 1998 bruce@va.debian.org wrote:

> > The deal with Stage 2 is that it has to upgrade everything stage 1 left
> > behind. This in itself is easy (and I have that working) but it preforms
> > changes to the packages states for which there is no atomic reversal for.
> >
> > That is, if you install libc6 and then delete libc6 you will end up with a
> > whole wack of broken packages. Right after you install libc6 it will
> > automatically upgrade everything that depended on it. But when you undo
> > your install operation it will not un-upgrade the things it upgraded
> > seconds before.
>
> My opinion is that you have gone as far as you can go within the
> constraints of the design of the Debian distribution, and you should
> not worry overmuch about this problem - we've lived with it up to now
> with few complaints except from people who are running "unstable" and
> _knowingly_took_the_risk_.

Erm, I think you are looking at this differently. You see, I ment, if you
install libc6 and then IMMEDIATELY uninstall libc6 (ie without exiting
deity, actually doing an install or anything) then you will end up with
alot of to-be-broken packages.

A simple example, lets say you have two packages, libc6 and MyPackage that
has an older version installed that depends on libc5 and has a new version
that depends on libc6:

DKI   Package
-*- - MyPackage
  -   `- libc6
  -    libc6

(that is how it would actually look). Lets say you hit intall on libc6,

DKI   Package
--* - MyPackage
  *   `- libc6
  *   libc6

As you can see by installing libc6 you allowed MyPackage to upgrade so
deity changed it to upgrade. Now lets say you undo that immedately,

DKI   Package
--* - MyPackage
  -   `- libc6
  -   libc6

Uh oh! It didn't undo the upgrade to MyPackage it did seconds earlier.
MyPackage will now be listed as 'broken' and be shown in red and Deity
will complain when you attempt to do the installations.

This doesn't seem to be very nice..

As for your thoughts on status file preservation, I don't think that is
terribly viable because versions will cease to exist in .deb from in the
archive which makes going backwards impossible. It is relatively easy to
use deity to downgrade from hamm to bo though, it's in the design
someplace.