Re: Autoinstall, upgrade, etc

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Behan Webster wrote:

> Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > >       For example, I have sudo put on hold (since the new versions
> > >  of sudo fail to parse the config file); I would hate to have the
> >
> > We don't have a hold state only a keep state. Once a package is flagged
> > 'keep' then that's it, there is no changing that [by deity, of course you
> > can]. But you may only flag a package 'keep' if the package is installed
> > and upgradeable. (see emails a week back on this)
>
> I was actualy thinking that a dependancy would force it from 'keep' to
> 'inst' but the user would be warned of this by a message in the status
> window, and on the installation screen.

Hm, are you certain you want this?

> > Behan: How do you want selecting an uninstallable package for installation
> > handled and other issues with impossible installation situations that
> > cannot be resolved automatically?
>
> Give me an example of an "uninstallable package"?

It's possible in two cases, both because a dependancy cannot be resolved
  1) The target of a dependancy doesn't exist
  2) The target is in the keep state

#2 cannot happen if you want to force keep to inst.

> I think my brain just crashed.  Nothing is working anymore.  I think
> it's time to go home.

Heh, okay :>

> I won't be able to respond to any email until tomorrow night-ish.  I
> have to stay home from work tomorrow to wait for the ADSL guys to come
> and install my new toy!  8)  I'm so excited!

ooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ADSL!

Now you can download Deity snapshots at obscene speeds!