Re: predepends on libc6? (fwd)

On 8 Dec 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> >>"Jason" == Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> writes:
>
> Jason> Anyone else thinking that maybe we should just immediately
> Jason> configure all essential packages?
>
> 	Aauugh.
>
> 	Can we say that essential packages don't predepend/depend on
>  other packages? Or at least that essential packages don't predepend
>  and depend only on other essential packages? We need some invariants
>  like that to have a hope of installing/configuring the essential
>  packages.

We can fiddle with it. What I am thinking is this statement should be
followed:
   'Essential Packages must never not work'

This means that all dependancies an essential package has are promoted to
pre-depends and essential packages undergo immediate configuration. The
time they are 'broken' is minimized to the time it takes to unpack and
configure the package. It doesn't mattern when they are installed only
that they never not work. I think this follows with the spirit of the
policy manual?

I was bitten by this when I decided to upgrade to hamm, perl ended up
breaking and it mashed a couple of the install scripts.

We have so many crazy things we can try! :>

> 	manoj
>  ps. Jason: don't you kinda have finals?

I have my books open! Honest!!