Re: Threads

On 12 Nov 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>  ps: Jason, what's the word on threads? I have written a mutex class, a
>  conditional variable class, a write-once-read-many class, which I can
>  maybe rewrite under the GPL or something. I'd like to know if I need
>  to plan to include locks into my red-black tree.

I think to solve the problem(s) I wanted solved the simplest way is to
make the libraries minimally thread aware. They should advoid the use of
statics+globals. The client will be responsible for all locking at the
proper times.

Since the nature of the problem(s) I suspect we will run into only really
need a low performance wide span lock scheme there isn't any need to do
anything fine grained.

Therefore, libpkg will -not- have any thread stuff. The widget set
(libdeity) will only support a mutex around the event loop. The client is
responsible for everthing else.

Remember the goal here is not to create something ultra-effecient, just
something that is responsive and gives feedback with minimal hassles.